Thursday, February 23th 2023 at 7pm CST
Join us for the third annual Data Mishaps Night! We will feature a lineup of data mistake stories with a focus on the human aspect of data work and lessons learned the hard way. Check out our past events here.
We’re kicking off soon, so we’ve closed registration. Join us at this Zoom link at 7pm CT on 2/23!
Keynote Speaker: Benn Stancil
Benn Stancil is a cofounder and Chief Analytics Officer at Mode, a modern BI platform that is designed for data teams. While at Mode, Benn has held roles leading Mode’s data, product, marketing, and executive teams, and regularly writes about data and technology at benn.substack.com. Prior to founding Mode, Benn worked on analytics teams at Microsoft and Yammer.
Jake Barry, Manager, Analytics Center of Excellence
Lost in Excel Translation
Layla Bouzoubaa, Doctoral Student
Contributing to COVID Fear Mongering
Amanda Fioritto, Analytics Engineer
Unintended Consequences: The Art of Bringing Down Production with a Misconfigured ETL
Michelle Currie, Founder / Chief Value Realization Engineer
Tales from the Trenches: Data Mishaps in Healthcare
Fooled by Nullness
Raja Doake, Principal Data Scientist
@doorisajar | @email@example.com | linkd.in/rdoake
How to Kill a Product Line
Izzy Miller, Developer Advocate
My Fijian all-nighter
Monica Miller, Developer Advocate
How a streaming pipeline became an excel spreadsheet
Roger Peng, Professor of Statistics and Data Sciences
How to Confuse an International Collaboration With Missing Data and Splines
Mathew Reiss, Product Manager
If it’s too good to be true…
Emily Robinson, Data Scientist
Which comes first: the model or the stakeholder commitment to deploy it?
Brent Schneeman, At large
Mired in the Trough of Disillusionment
Welcome and Introduction
7:00 – 7:10
From the Organizers: Laura Ellis (@littlemissdata) and Caitlin Hudon (@beeonaposy) will kick off with a brief introduction and some housekeeping/logistics.
7:10 – 7:25
Benn Stancil, Co-Founder and CAO at Mode (@bennstancil) will share his thoughts on data mistakes.
Theme: Missing in Action
7:25 – 7:50
- Izzy Miller, Developer Advocate, @isidoremiller , My Fijian all-nighter
- Roger Peng, Professor of Statistics and Data Sciences, @rdpeng, How to Confuse an International Collaboration With Missing Data and Splines
- Raja Doake, Principal Data Scientist, @doorisajar | firstname.lastname@example.org | linkd.in/rdoake, How to Kill a Product Line
- Adarsh Dattatri, LinkedIn, Fooled by Nullness
Theme: The Best Laid Plans
7:50 – 8:15
- Emily Robinson, Data Scientist, @robinson_es, Which comes first: the model or the stakeholder commitment to deploy it?
- Mathew Reiss, Product Manager, LinkedIn, If it’s too good to be true…
- Brent Schneeman, At large, Mired in the Trough of Disillusionment
- Monica Miller, Developer Advocate, website, How a streaming pipeline became an excel spreadsheet
Theme: Make it Stop!
8:20 – 8:45
- Layla Bouzoubaa, Doctoral Student, LinkedIn, Contributing to COVID Fear Mongering
- Amanda Fioritto, Analytics Engineer, @afioritto, Unintended Consequences: The Art of Bringing Down Production with a Misconfigured ETL
- Rika Gorn, @rikagorn | LinkedIn, Solutions Engineer
- Michelle Currie, Founder / Chief Value Realization Engineer, @mshlcurrie, Tales from the Trenches: Data Mishaps in Healthcare
- Jake Barry, Manager, Analytics Center of Excellence, LinkedIn, Lost in Excel Translation
8:45 – 8:50
From the Co-Organizers
- Closing remarks from Laura Ellis and Caitlin Hudon
Data Mishaps Night Co-Organizers, Caitlin Hudon and Laura Ellis were interviewed by Builtin.com about the benefits of sharing your mistakes and learnings with a community. Read the article here.
Randy Au, who spoke at the event in 2021, featured the event in his Counting Stuff newsletter. You can read it here.